After you get your routine up with working with this Donabe smoker, you will be serving your guests deliciously smoked foods in only 35 minutes. Smoking fish or cheese yourself has never been so easy.
Donabe Smoker Basic Smoking Steps
Each Donabe Smoker Recipe follows 6 steps.
1. Prep the Smoker Donabe.
2. Cut your ingredients into 2.5 cm cuts and season with salt and pepper. Pat dry to remove excess moisture.
3. Set the grates inside the smoker and place ingredients on each grate before adding the next.
4. Set the donabe smoker over high heat. Smoke from the wood chips should release after 7-8 minutes, then cover with the lid.
5. Fill the reservoir in the rim with water, smoke over high heat for 5-6 minutes, then turn of the heat.
6. Let rest undisturbed for 20 minutes. Uncover and dig in.
It will probably take a couple of rounds to understand the cooking times for various different foods.
The details behind the Donabe Smoker:
The Ibushi-Gin traps heat and smoke inside the donabe, and so releasing only minimal or no smoke at all. This means you can easily smoke foods indoors and serve straight out of the donabe. The glaze of the Donabe Smoker promotes a so called Far Infrared Ray effect (or FIR – a similar effect how glowing charcoal cooks ingredients without direct contact with a flame).
The Ibushi-Gin Donabe Smoker has a thick round body with extra space for smoke circulation. Its base is a bowl and lid with no holes. The rim of the bowl has a reservoir, so when you place the lid on the base and fill this reservoir with water, you actually create a water seal and trap the smoke inside.
The Donabe Smoker comes with three tiers or metal grates that creates three levels inside the smoker. You place smoke chips on the bottom and your ingredients on the grates, cover and set the donabe pot over high heat.
Your smoking time takes 12-15 minutes, followed by 20 minutes resting time. You may want to experiment cooking times depending on the (thickness) of the produce, but in 35 minutes you can have a fantastic smoked dish ready.